Background and Experience
Tony is a qualified and experienced Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, registered and fully accredited with the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP). He is able to work with a wide range of client groups including adults, teens, children and families. He has more than 20 years experience consulting in schools and supporting families in the UK and abroad. Tony was also employed as a therapist at ACS International Cobham where he worked extensively with students and staff. Tony has an in-depth understanding of mental health issues and has worked with numerous individuals such as social workers, safeguarding officers and other workers to help develop care plans for children adn their families. With extensive health care experience, Tony has helped to develop psychology services in the independent health care sector.
With many years of experience working therapeutically with young people and their families, Tony has regularly provided training to teachers, social workers, foster carers, police officers and youth offending teams. His work within the field of childhood sexual behaviour also involved working closely with families, parents and schools. Tony's work also involved providing consultations to parents to help them gain a better understanding as to why their child may behave in the way that he or she does and how to further improve communication within the family. As a result Tony's philosophy when working with children and teens, is to also work alongside parents and other professionals.
Tony specialises in the field of CBT in particular for people who suffer from anxiety, low mood and loneliness. He has helped adults, teens and children alike to deal with issues such as low-self esteem, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), perfectionism and generalised anxiety disorder, providing both short-term and long-term therapy. Tony is also trained in EMDR (Level 2) which he has used effectively to help children and adults alike.
Tony's approach to therapy
For over 20 years Tony has worked with people who have experienced long-term trauma, abuse and neglect. His style of working very much focuses on the client's needs; working together with the client to help people feel better about themselves and feel more able to cope with the situation they find themselves in.
Tony is patient, empathetic and kind. His clients' compliment him on being able to make them feel comfortable and he is ideal for clients who have not had treatment before or those that have a nervous disposition.
Tony is a fully accredited practitioner with the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) and National Organisation for Treatment of Sexual Abusers (NOTA) .
Tony is one of the directors of Mindspace Therapy-Studio and he is pleased to be able to develop a high quality, effective psychological practice. His continued aim is to provide a personalized service, working with clients and tailoring therapeutic interventions. He prides himself on keeping up to date with his therapeutic skills and attends professional post qualification courses, workshops and attends regular clinical supervision.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Buckinghamshire New University
- Bachelor of Psychology with Honours, University of Malta
- Growing Attachment Training, Annex Project
- AIM2 Initial Assessment for Adolescents Who Display Harmful Sexual Behaviour, training facilitated by Vince Mercer
- Strengths based CBT for Vulnerable Clients and Chronic Conditions, Training facilitated by Christine Padesky
- Using Compassion Focused Therapy to work with the Legacy of Disrupted Childhood Attachments and Traumatic Experiences
- EMDR Practitioner Training, Sandi Richman, London
- Child and Adolescent Clinic
- We offer Cognitive Behavioural Assessments and CBT/EMDR treatment for difficulties such as the below, which is by no means an exhaustive list:
- Anxiety (fears, phobias, worries, obsessions, OCD), depression and low mood, problems at school and at home, self-harming behaviour, low self-esteem and relationships issues in the family. In particular we have specialisation in childhood anxiety, depression, sexual abuse and trauma.
- When we work with children and adolescents we also aim to work with the family and carers as well as your GP, school and other professionals to get your child feeling happier and content. Our goal is to support you and your child and to help your family feel more able to cope with the difficulties they may find themselves in. We can help parents and carers gain a better understanding of why their child or teen may be behaving in a certain way and what skills they can use to help their child and improve relationships within the family and with peers.
- We would be more than happy to help, so please do give us a call on 07523014800 or send us an email to discuss further. There is no obligation to make an appointment with us.
Feedback from clients
"I am so glad that I came to Mindspace Therapy back in August last year, and I can’t thank Tony enough for helping me. Thank-you for helping me see that, actually, I’m a pretty decent person and that I deserve to find happiness in the world."
"Thank you Tony for all your help and for helping me talk - even when I didn't think there was much to say! You have helped me and my family so much!"
"Thank you Tony for helping my son overcome his difficulties. We never thought we would ever get through this difficult patch. You have given us the skills to support our child and we now have our son back. Thank you for always being there for us over the phone. We know that we can always contact you."