Background and Experience
Martha is a qualified Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist registered with the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists (BABCP). For the past ten years, she has worked with people presenting with a range of psychological problems including severe mental health problems. Her experience includes general practice in mental health care (NHS, private and charities) as well as experience in secondary and tertiary settings such as hospital contexts. She has also been employed part time as an Associate Lecturer and Supervisor for Trainee CBT therapists at Buckinghamshire New University.
Martha's approach to therapy:
As an advocate of dynamic, time limited and collaborative therapy, Martha is focused on working with the specific needs of the individual client(s). She specialises in trauma, anxiety, depression and other mental health and adjustment issues. Martha works predominantly using Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), but integrates other therapeutic approaches when required. She is also fully trained in Eye Movement and Desensitation Re-processing (EMDR) which she can use to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) cases as well as a range of anxiety disorders.
Martha is committed and passionate about ongoing learning and she is currently working on her doctoral research which focuses on growth and resilience following trauma. Her research study compliments her interests with people affected by significant psychological trauma and loss. Martha actively contributes to, and draws upon, eminent research in order to inform and optimise the quality of therapy. She is experienced in psychological research, has published papers in international peer-reviewed journals, written book chapters and presented her work at conferences world-wide.
- * Masters of Science in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Buckinghamshire New University (BABCP Fully Accredited Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist)
* Currently undertaking a doctorate (PhD) Degree at the University of Portsmouth
* EMDR Practitioner Training
* Post-graduate Certificate in Advanced Counselling Skills, City London University
* Certificate in Mentalization-Based Therapy (MBT), Anna Freud Centre
* Bachelor of Psychology with Honours, University of Malta
* Masters of Science in Psychological Research Methods, University of Surrey
* Essential Supervision Skills (BPS Approved Certificate in Clinical Supervision)